For the past couple days, I’ve been eating the same thing for dinner and I’m still not tired of it. The challenge is going well so far, though I haven’t been having as big a breakfast as I’d like. However, dinner has become a time to bring out my “chef” aspirations. Despite a bit of prep work and effort, just looking at my plate makes it all worthwhile.
That delicious plate of food is eggplant parmesan with penne pasta. The additional toppings are spinach, fried egg, provolone cheese and marinara sauce. It’s so delicious…I can’t believe it’s almost gone!
Now onto the recipe:
- 1/4 – 1/2 eggplant (sliced)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk – scrambled
- paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and other spices
- cooking oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 slice provolone cheese
- Add salt to sliced eggplant, let sit until the water starts to seep out. (Not a necessary step but it makes the eggplant more tender, less bitter and less watery.) Wash salt off eggplant.
- In breadcrumb bin, mix in salt, pepper, and spices for added flavor.
- Dip eggplant into egg yolk and coat it with breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat a skillet with hot oil and put the eggplant into the pan when it’s hot. When it’s golden brown, flip it over to cook on the other side.
- Remove eggplant from pan and put on a towel-lined dish.
- Heat marinara sauce in a saucepan.
- To assemble: put eggplant on the plate. Pour hot marinara sauce over it. Place provolone cheese on top and let it melt.
Serves 1-2 people.